The main purpose of writing a resume is to apply for a job as well as to attract a job interview. It is a ticket to enter a fresh avenue of employment and a way to convey your eligibility and worth to an employer, to whose company you have applied for. While you may have gone through many resume examples for jobs online or taken reference from different sources, this article specially deals with the negatives that one unconsciously carries in their own resume. Either, one tends to ignore or blindly follow certain minor mistakes (from others) which can mar your chance to grab a job opportunity. You will get an interview call, only if you are successful in impressing the employers through the quality of your resume.
By taking notes from how to write resume for job sample you may have understood about the format and what content needs to go in this crucial document. But this article here specifically highlights what are the things one should avoid and be careful about. So let’s get going now…
- Don’t ever rely on word resume template because it will be too taxing to edit and personalise it. Instead, go for an automated resume developer that will help you to fill in your own details/information without hampering the format or structure of the layout. Besides, the software will do the spell and grammar check for you.
- As we mentioned earlier, the objective of writing a resume is to apply for a job and this is redundant to say in your career summary in the beginning of the resume. So it is better to move on to share about your education, skills and experience, instead. However, in some resume samples for freshers you will notice that this particular section has not been included at all. That’s because since most of the students will not have any work experience, it is not mandatory to put the summary in the resume
- Don’t go lengthy with your resume. Be specific, clear and concise with the content so that the reader will be kept engaged and get good idea about one’s profile and background. Include only what is important and relevant to the job posting. Don’t intend to waste the recruiter’s time by including unnecessary information, since they will have lots of other resumes and candidates to deal with. Most of the basic resume examples will show contents covered within two pages maximum.
- Don’t exaggerate; prove it! Don’t give random details about your work experience. Describe how you benefited your previous employer by quantifying things. Say, you were improved customer service by implementing innovative marketing technique, or helped a specific number of students by giving them extra coaching and so on, which reflects your hard work and commitment towards your job.
- Don’t include your age if possible or give a date to your education. As it will generate a biased opinion during recruitment procedure. According to some employment-oriented survey, there have been cases in which people lost the chance of getting promoted or laid off, by presenting their age. What is more important to showcase that you have acquired education qualification but not when you earned it. Got through some free resume samples online and you will understand this factor better.
- Don’t lose the flow. Maintain consistency throughout the content of your resume. Don’t jump from one detail to another information without any connection. Organise and follow an order.
- Don’t share your entire work history. Unless one has more than ten years of work experience, it is good to stick to one-page resume in case of a fresher. Share those work experience which are directly related to the job you are applying for. It is like wasting space, if you mention smallest menial job like high school summer job, if you have good number of work experiences. Compare and see resume samples of that of a fresher and other of experienced person – you will understand the difference.
- Avoid putting your photograph on the resume, unless specified. While it vaguely creates a biased approach within the hiring procedure, a photograph will mainly affect the applicant tracking system or ATS, which is used to scan resumes. The basic purpose of ATS is to check if there are specific keywords in the resume content that matches an employer’s requirement. By including a photograph in your resume the ATS will get confused and there are high chances of getting rejected.
- Don’t mention about the salary you received in your previous company. If you have gone through many resume examples, you will notice that such detail has not been used.
- Don’t forget to include your contact details and check whatever you have mentioned are correct. It is mandatory to put your email address and phone number in the header. Take reference from internet about sample resume format to give you more options about header styles.
- Don’t send off your resume without giving it a thorough check. If you are writing a fresh copy, it is better to reread it and proofread it. Also it is advisable to ask someone to review it for you so that they can suggest anything if you have missed out some detail. If you are editing an existing resume, see that everything has been covered and updated with each new job.
Hope that you will now get better insight about resume writing and about things which you should not include within your resume. Take reference from any kind of example of resume to apply job and understand how you want to present your resume and what kind of layout is safer.
If you have any queries regarding writing a resume, then don’t hesitate to contact us….